Tuesday, August 17, 2004

return of the man

I suppose I was feeling most nostalgic before my birthday - it was a hard time actually, kind of depressing to be 26 and once again not sure where I would be going next. But, it seems like this is a site that others feel good about too, so I won't ignore it further...

Today I remember the taste of red wine in my mouth and the smell of tacky dollar store black candles in the air. Wearing long crushed black velvet dresses and fishnet pantyhoses, black eyeliner, and dark dark dark red lipstick (the black ones always faded and tasted like crayons) Kat and I would sit in her basement watching The Crow. We must have seen that movie 50 times together, easily. We watched it incesantly after it came out on video and every halloween after that. We were enthrawled with the gorgeous Brandon Lee and how beautiful and dark the whole film was. It was an environment, like everything we wanted put into a movie.

Looking back, yes, it was cheezy at bits with Michael Wincott as the mob boss (in a hideous wig) and the cheezy lines like "drugs can hurt you" or whatever. Still, it takes me back.

I bought the special edition VHS tape at a used book store about 4 years ago. It wasn't the same watching it in shorts and a t-shirt in my 3rd storey appartment. I would have felt silly to dress up to watch it on my own. Heck, the last time I gothed up for halloween even was 3 years ago. Things have changed so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home